Friday, December 17, 2010

New Year's Soup

Good Evening.


This week has been very intense for me.  Lots of emotions.  I am struggling with what to do with my life.  I am 99.9% sure I want to go back to get a degree in nutrition, but do I get a Masters or just another Bachelors?  And nearly my whole self craves to be back in Amsterdam, in Europe.  It has become very frustrating.  Luckily, this week, I had a good friend remind me of a few important things.  


1. We all let our emotions get ahold of us and we just need to take a step back.
2. Life is all about love.
3. A simple smile can change someone's life.


My love...FOOD.  So onto the food...


I have been planning this meal since last week.  I have been wanting to make a warm and filling soup with beans and veggies.  Once again, Terry Walters has saved me.  I have also been baking fresh bread every week.  I have taken the teff flour bread recipe and started tweaking it.  Today I used half teff and half almond meal.  I also added hemp protein, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.  Yummy!



New Year's Soup
Courtesy: "Clean Start"


1 Medium yellow onion, chopped
4 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 Carrots cut into 1/8 inch rounds
3 Parsnips cut into 1/8 inch rounds
1 Bunch collard greens stems removed
3 Cups cooked black-eyed peas (or any meaty, white bean)
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
4 Cups vegetable stock
1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

In soup pot or large dutch oven over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil 3 minutes or until soft.  Add carrots and parsnips and saute 3 minutes.  Chop collard greens into bite-size pieces and add to pot along with black-eyed peas and oregano.  Add vegetable stock, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.  Stir in apple cider vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Remove from heat and serve.

Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment