Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Cauliflower, Coconut and Chocolatey Crispies

Good Afternoon.

What an incredibly lazy day it is today.  I hit my snooze button for at least 40 minutes.  The prospect of such a cold day kept me cuddled in bed.  I didn't even go for a run!  I figured today could be my "off" day. So, I had a relaxing, easy morning.  I made breakfast of toast with almond butter and jam and a juicy pear.  I finished my schedule for work and even made a healthier version of rice crispy treats!

OH!  I signed up for a 1/2 marathon.  May 1st, here in Eugene.  I felt that I needed to have something to work towards, something in the very near future.  I am also contemplating signing up for the San Francisco full marathon on July 31st.  If I was going to do a full, I wanted to do a destination marathon.  I had never been to California and had always wanted to see San Francisco.  By the end of the month I want to make a decision about it.

Last Friday I had a very tiny dinner party at my house.  It consisted of me and two other people.  But it was very nice.  I love cooking for other people.  On the menu was a curried stew and raw coconut cookies.  Cookies did not last long.  And the stew...awesome.

Curried Cauliflower Stew with Chickpeas
Courtesy: "Clean Start"


1 Head cauliflower
1 Medium yellow onion, sliced into thin slices
2 Garlic cloves, minced
1-Inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 Tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 Carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
2 Tablespoons mirin
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 Cup vegetable stock
1 1/2 Cup chopped tomatoes with their juices
1 1/2 Cups cooked chickpeas
2 Tablespoons raisins
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh cilantro

Prepare cauliflower by removing and discarding outer leaves and inner stems.  Cut florets into small pieces and set aside.

In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute onion, garlic and ginger in oil until soft.  Add carrots and saute 2 minutes.  Add mirin, curry powder, veggie stock, tomatoes and chickpeas and stir to combine.  Bring stew to simmer, fold in cauliflower and raisins and cook until cauliflower is soft.  Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve topped with cilantro.

We served it over a mix of wild and brown rices.



Raw Maple-Cinnamon Coconut Cookies
Courtesy: http://sketch-freeveganeating.blogspot.com


These cookies are delectable and very dangerous.  They hold best if you keep them in the freezer.

2 Cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
6 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 + 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
4 Tablespoons melted coconut oil

Maple-cinnamon icing
1/4 Cup packed dates
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 Teaspoon cinnamon
2 Teaspoons coconut oil
Water to thin

Combine all ingredients for cookies.  Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  Press into round cookie shapes.  Combine ingredients for glaze in a food processor, this may take a few minutes.  Pipe onto cookies and top with nuts, if you want.  Freeze until hardened.




Crispy Rice Treats, Healthy Style
Courtesy: "The Gluten-Free Vegan"


While looking for healthy recipes to make with the kids at the Boys and Girls club I came across this one this morning.  I figured I had everything in my cupboards, why not!?!  And, well, it turns out I didn't have everything.  I used brown rice cereal instead of the puffed rice.  I also used pecans and walnuts instead of the almonds.  And lastly, I used almond butter instead of mac-nut butter.  Still delicious!


2 Cups puffed rice
1/4 Cups sesame seeds
1/4 cup raw, chopped almonds
1/2 Cup currants or raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 Cup vegan chocolate chips
1/4 Teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 Cup macadamia or cashew butter, or other nut butter of your choice
3/4 Cup brown rice syrup

Place puffed rice, seeds, nuts, currants, cinnamon and chocolate chips in a large bowl and mix together.  In a smaller bowl, stir together the vanilla, brown rice syrup and nut butter.  I ended up heating this mixture a little bit because it was so stiff.  Add this mixture to the puff rice mixture.  Stir until really well combined.

Lightly spray a 9-inch square pan with vegetable oil nonstick spray and spoon the ingredients into the pan.  With wet hands, spread the mixture out so it fills the pan.  Refrigerate until well chilled, then cut into bars.

Rice Crispies Chilling in the Fridge

2 comments:

  1. I love cauliflower curry -- it looks extra yummy with the cilantro. And cashew butter w/ my rice crispy treats? Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curry was phenomenal.

    And you better be prepared to eat the entire batch of rice crispy treats in one sitting...they are that good.

    ReplyDelete