Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cookies and Braised Daikon Radishes

Hello, Hello, Hello.

I was all set to make some delicious meal tonight, but I am feeling under the weather and can't be bothered to do anything exciting.  So I am going to take this opportunity to post some recipes that I made earlier this summer.

About two weeks ago I went to the market and found daikon radishes.  I knew that I had seen a recipe for them in one of my books so I decided to buy one.  They look slightly like turnips.  The finished product is sweet and beautiful.


Braised Daikon Radishes
Courtesy: Alicia Silverstone "The Kind Diet"


Serves 2-3

1 large daikon radish
2 tablespoons tamari
1/4 cup mirin
2"-3" strip kombu

Slice the daikon into 1/2" rounds and place them in a skillet in a single layer.  Add water almost to cover the radishes.  Add the tamari, mirin and kombu.  Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat and then reduce the head to very low and cover the pan.  Simmer the daikon for 30 minutes (it took mine about 50) until all the liquid has been absorbed.

Eat shortly after it is made.

I made this with steamed broccoli and brown rice.  I sprinkled everything with gomashio.





"Clean Food" by Terry Walters has fast become my favorite cook book.  Her whole premise of the book is eating locally and seasonally.  I love it.  Everything is vegan and it is nearly all gluten free.  On November 2nd her  new book, "Clean Start" comes out and I can't wait.  There has not been a single recipe that I have not enjoyed.  And it is through her book that I have been introduced to new and nutritious ingredients.  

The one that I enjoy the most is teff.  Teff is a gluten free grain that is very nutritious.  According to Terry Walters, "teff is such a small grain that it is impossible to hull before grinding into a flour, making its nutritional value nearly identical to that of a whole grain."  Teff is also high in protein and iron.

Try these cookies out, you don't feel bad after eating one, or two, or three.



Teff Ginger Molasses Cookies
Courtesy: Terry Walter's "Clean Food"


2 cups teff flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon ( I always add more )
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/2 cup almond butter
1/4 cup molasses
2 teaspoons tamari
1 tablespoon grated FRESH ginger ( I would add a little more )
1/2 cup maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and all wet ingredients in another.  Pour wet ingredients over dry and blend until just combined-do not overmix.

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Drop batter by heaping teaspoons onto the cookie sheet.  No need to roll, flatten or shape into mounds.  Place in oven and bake for about 12 minutes.  Remove from oven and immediately place on wire rack to cool.

Makes about 24 cookies.



Bon appétit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment