Monday, October 25, 2010

Raddicchio Pizza and Rice Crispy Treats

Good Morning Everyone!

Fall has finally taken ahold of Eugene and the cold, wet weather has settled in.  Gone are the days where I have all my windows open and warm breezes flow throughout my apartment.  I have actually started to turn my heat on for about an hour a day - still trying to keep my electric bill down.

Because of the turn in weather I no longer crave cucumbers and tomato salad, or any salad for that matter.  I want something hearty, warming and thick with flavor.  I have a feeling that you will all be seeing more bean and soup recipes!

These next two recipes come from Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet."  Once again, while I was at the market I found some really cheap radicchio and remembered seeing a recipe for it somewhere.  After scrolling through a few books I finally found the recipe, radicchio pizza with truffle oil.  Just a fair warning for those of you out there who have never had radicchio, it is bitter, very, very bitter.  It does lose some of the bitterness after cooking, but it is still very powerful.


Radicchio Pizza with Truffle Oil
Courtesy: "The Kind Diet"


This recipe is just for the topping of the pizza.  You could technically put anything on a pizza that you want.  Last night we did the radicchio and also a pesto with red peppers.  Be creative and have fun with it.

For the crust I used Bob Red Mill's prepackaged gluten free pizza crust mix.  I did the substitution for eggs with flax meal.  The crust was amazingly flavorful and quite good.  The longer you cook it the less doughy it is.  Just keep an eye on the bottom of the pizza, so it doesn't burn.  We also lowered the temperature of the oven last night, so we did not cook it at the specified temperature.  



1 Head radicchio-small is fine
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
White truffle oil, to taste
1 Fresh pizza crust

Cut the radicchio in half, then slice each half crosswise into thin ribbons.  Dress with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a few dashes of truffle oil.

Preheat oven to 415 degrees F.  Toast the pizza crust in the oven for 7 minutes or until it is heated through and slightly golden but not crunchy.  Scatter the dressed radicchio over the pizza crust and return to the oven for another 3-5 minutes, until the radicchio is warm and just starting to wilt.  Serve immediately.


For the Bob Red Mill's gluten free crust I followed their directions in making a crust.  I did not put on toppings until the last 5 minutes of cooking, at least for the radicchio option.  If you put other veggies on top you could cook them longer.


Radicchio before being cooked



Basil-Cilantro Pesto with Red Peppers


Basil-Cilantro Pesto
Courtesy: Veganomicon


2 Cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 Cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/3 Cup slivered or sliced almonds
2 Cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/4 Cup olive oil
Pepper to taste


Place the basil, cilantro, almonds, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and blend until pasty, scraping down the sides occasionally.  With the food processor on, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.  Blend until relatively smooth and no large chunks of almonds are left.  




Crispy Peanut Butter Treats with Chocolate Chips
Courtesy: "The Kind Diet"


I love this recipe.  I made it last week on a Monday, and it was gone by Wednesday.  I literally ate about 3/4 of the pan.  Gross, I know.  Somehow I just can't stop eating it.  No wonder I don't make it that often!  So, when you make it, either hide it from yourself or plan on sharing it with everyone.


1 Box gluten free brown rice crisps cereal
1 3/4 Cup brown rice syrup
Fine sea salt
3/4 Cup peanut butter or almond butter (unsweetened and unsalted-I use the fresh ground nut butters)
1/2 Cup gluten free and vegan chocolate chips or carob chips


Pour rice cereal into a large bowl.  Heat the syrup with a pinch of salt in a saucepan over low heat.  When the rice syrup liquefies, add the peanut butter and stir until well combined.  Pour over the rice cereal.  Mix well with a wooden spoon.


Once thoroughly mixed and cooked to room temperature, stir in the chocolate chips.  Make sure the mixture is cool, or you will end up with melted chocolate instead of chocolate chips in your treats.  I never wait until it cools and end up with a peanut buttery, chocolatey treat!


Turn the mixture into an 8x8 or 9x13 inch baking dish.  Wet your wooden spoon lightly and press the mixture evenly into the pan.  Let cool for 1 hour before cutting into squares or bars.


Rice Crispy Mixture Before the Chocolate Chips








No comments:

Post a Comment