Sunday, October 31, 2010

Spaghetti Squash with Veggie Ragout

Happy Halloween Everyone!


I wish that I had a more appropriate recipe for Halloween, but I wasn't feeling overly experimental this week.  Maybe I will have some more "fallish" recipes next week!


I have been hearing about how good spaghetti squash is from almost everyone, but had never had any.  Actually, I am quite surprised that I have never tried it.  So, when I saw it at the market the other week I had to pick one up. This is a pretty basic recipe for the squash, but it is really flavorful.


Eet Smaakelijk


Spaghetti Squash with Veggie Ragout
Courtesy: "The Gluten-Free Vegan"


1 Spaghetti squash
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Large onion, chopped
1 Medium sized zucchini, chopped
3 Cups swiss chard, or kale
1/2 Cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
4 Ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 Can (14.5 oz) can diced or whole tomatoes
4 Cloves garlic
1 Tablespoon capers
2 Tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1/8 Cup red wine
1/4 Teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 Teaspoon sea salt/kosher salt


**I did not have red wine, roasted red peppers or cremini mushrooms and it still turned out great.


***Roast or cook the squash the way you know how to.  This book told me to put the squash, whole, into the oven.  I chose to cut it in half, remove the seeds and then roast cut side down in about 1 inch of water until soft.


In a large skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat.  Add the onion, zucchini and swiss chard, and saute for 8-10 minutes.  Add the red pepper, mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.  Add the diced tomatoes and capers and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add the basil and wine and cook until the flavors blend, 2-3 minutes.


Using a large spoon or fork, scoop out all of the "noodles" and place in a large bowl.  Add the veggies and toss to mix well.  Season with salt and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment