Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chocolate Macaroons and Sauteed Greens with Leeks

Good Evening.


Tomorrow is November 3rd, my birthday.  I turn 27.  I wish I could be more excited about it, but I am not.  All that I wanted was to wake up and go for a nice fall run and then spend the day with people who care about me.  The run will not happen because I have a lovely little cold.  But I did learn how to use a neti pot...gross by the way.  And spending the day with people I love will not happen either.  My family is in Seattle and France and my good friends are in: Canada, Australia, Ohio, Vermont, California, and Texas.  But that is okay.  Tomorrow I get to wake up and skype with Tom and Olaf, my babies in London.  If I am lucky I get to help a friend clean her old apartment (I am slightly OCD).  And I am making a delicious sounding soup for dinner.  My birthday will be lovely because I will make it lovely.


Look forward to a post about my soup tomorrow.


But for today, I have a few recipes out of Terry Walters' new book, "Clean Start."  I bought myself this book for my birthday.  And I love it.  I encourage everyone to check out her website or pick up a copy of this book.


Today, I am going to start with dessert...


Chewy Chocolate Macaroons
Courtesy: "Clean Start"


2 Cups shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 Teaspoon sea salt
1/4 Cup coconut milk
1/4 Cup maple syrup
1 Teaspoon almond extract
1 Cup gluten- and dairy-free chocolate chips or 6 oz dark chocolate


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


In large bowl, combine coconut with salt.  In separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, maple syrup and almond extract.  Add to coconut and stir until evenly moist.


Melt chocolate chips or chocolate in double boiler or in small pot over very low heat and pour into coconut mixture.  Fold until evenly combined.  Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Scoop batter by the tablespoonful and place on cookie sheet in equal size mounds.  Gently press to make each mound of mixture stick together.  Bake 18-20 minutes or until tops appear dry.  Remove from heat and place on rack to cool.


Makes 18


Macaroons pre-baking







Macaroons post-baking...yumm




Sauteed Greens with Leek and Garlic
Courtesy: "Clean Start"

I love my leafy greens.  I especially love Italian kale and collard greens.  But, as of late I have gotten bored of doing them the same way, sauteed with garlic, salt and pepper.  So, when I saw this recipe I had to give it a chance.  It is delightful.  There is a sweetness from the leeks and mirin and then this tartness from the ume plum vinegar.  Perfectly contrasting flavors.

3 Cloves garlic, minced
1 Large leek, sliced crosswise
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 Bunches assorted dark leafy greens, chopped
2 Tablespoons mirin
Ume plum vinegar
Toasted sesame seeds or gomasio 

In a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat, saute garlic and leek in olive oil until soft (about 3 minutes). Add greens and mirin and saute until greens are bright green and tender (about 4 minutes).  Remove from heat, drizzle lightly with ume plum vinegar, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.




No comments:

Post a Comment