Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Breakfast

Good Morning!


Happy Birthday to me!  Twenty seven, boy do I feel old.  Ha!  Actually, I feel the same as yesterday, sick.


I have been wanting to do a post about breakfast for awhile.  I love breakfast.  But since going gluten, dairy, egg and meat-free it has become a little boring.  I have gone out for breakfast a handful of times since eliminating certain things from my diet and I have had some lovely tofu scrambles, and some really awful vegan/gluten-free french toast.  Gluten free bread was not meant for french toast.  But I wanted to post some yummy breakfast ideas that you can quickly make at home.  I am sure that there will be more recipes later, the more adventurous I become.


I hope you all enjoy.


Mochi
Courtesy: Me


Mochi is something I fell in love with while living in Hawai'i.  It is basically pounded rice.  Delicious pounded rice!  It comes in a few different varieties.  I buy my mochi in the refrigerated section at the grocery store.  It comes in a hard block with about 4 different flavors.  My favorite is cinnamon raisin.  But the mochi in Hawai'i was soft and gelatinous and filled with sweetened coconut, not the best for breakfast.


1 Package Mochi
Maple syrup or agave nectar


Preheat oven based on directions for mochi, mine is about 450 degrees F.  


Cut the mochi into one inch pieces.  I usually end up making 8-10 little blocks.  You don't have to cook the entire package at once, just take as much as you want for one serving.  


Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the mochi a few inches away from each other.  


Bake for 8-12 minutes, depending on the packaged instructions.


When mochi is done, place on a plate and drizzle with agave nectar or maple syrup.  Grab and apple or pear and you have a full meal!


Mochi before cooking


Yumm...mochi after baking


Chia Seed Pudding
Courtesy: Choosing Raw


I have heard a lot about chia seeds since reading up on nutrition.  According to many sources it was a staple of the Aztec culture, known for its ability to sustain warriors for long periods of time.  But it is also great for other reasons.  It is an amazing plant based source of Omega-3 fatty acids and is easier to digest than flax seeds.  Who knew, the seeds that made the chia pet were such a nutritional powerhouse.  If you want to read more on chia seeds head to: http://www.living-foods.com/articles/chia.html


Chia seeds, when made into a pudding, kind of turn out like tapioca.  The seeds themselves become wrapped in a gelatinous coating, making for a very interesting texture.


Each recipe that I find for chia seed pudding is different.  The one that I have enjoyed most is this one.


1/4 Cup chia seeds
1 Cup almond milk or other milk alternative
1 Tablespoon Agave nectar
Cinnamon to taste
Cardamom powder to taste


Place all ingredients in a bowl or mason jar.  Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes.  Mix again and then refrigerate.  Let chill and then eat.  I find it best to make at night and then eating for breakfast the next morning.  Top with fruit and nuts.  It should keep for at least 5 days.


Get creative and add other flavors, like chocolate powder!








Coconut Rice Pudding
Courtesy: "The Gluten-Free Vegan"


I used to love oatmeal in the morning.  Recently it has been making me sick and my tummy very unhappy.  Since getting into the colder weather I have been wanting something warmer and thicker to eat for breakfast.  This recipe takes about 1 hour to make, so instead of waking up earlier than need be I make enough for a few days and heat it up in the microwave.   


1 Cup uncooked brown rice
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk
14 ounces (measure using the above can) water
15 Cardamom pods, or about 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/4 Cup agave nectar
1/4-1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt


Nuts of your choice (I have a mixture that I have made myself of cashews, almonds, walnuts, pecans and hazelnuts.  I just place them all in a bag and crush them a little bit with a rolling pin.  You don't want to pulverize them!)


Fruit of your choice (Fresh berries, bananas or apples work great.  Frozen blueberries do too!)


Rinse the rice in a colander and place in a saucepan with the coconut milk, water and cardamom pods.  Bring to boil, then lower the heat to low.  Simmer over low heat until the pudding is thick and the rice is cooked through, about 45 minutes.  Turn off the head and add the agave nectar, cinnamon and salt.  Remove the cardamom pods.


Add chopped fruit and nuts to the top and enjoy.


Serves about 4





No comments:

Post a Comment